I have learned that I am a Libertarian. I figured I would check to find out if there was anyone I could get behind. There is and his name is Gary Johnson. I don't agree with everything he has to say, but I do find that I agree with a large portion of it. Here are a few things I found on his issues page that stood out to me as things people are very interested in as well as having very strong supporters of. Haven't seen him at the debates, but have heard of him through the grapevine. Thought you might like to know that there is someone else running besides Democrats & Republicans.
The following has all been copy & pasted (with altered formatting) directly from:
Our current Medicare and Medicaid systems are unsustainable and must be reformed. http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/issues/health-care
, when the
state took responsibility for Medicaid, costs were reduced by 25% and services
improved. Removing unnecessary federal mandates would have allowed even greater
savings. New Mexico
· Federal assistance for those who cannot afford essential health care should be provided through simple block grants to the states, where innovation will create efficiencies and better care at less cost.
The government should simply stay out of the business of trying to promote or “manage” energy development. The marketplace will meet our energy needs in the most economical and efficient manner possible – if government will stay out of the way. http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/issues/environment
“The government cannot pick and choose which of our constitutional rights it must uphold. That applies to the Second Amendment and our right to bear arms. It means what it says – and for good reason. Restricting gun rights, whether at the federal, state or local levels, results only in denying rights to law-abiding citizens while leaving criminals and those who would do us harm free to do what they do: Break the law..” http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/issues/guns-rights
Legal Immigration strengthens
’s economy and the social
fabric. It will also strengthen our relationship with our southern neighbor America . http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/issues/immigration Mexico
An Internet free of regulation and taxation has produced innovation and enhancements to quality of life almost unparalleled in human history. If the market demands Internet services, speed and access, the market will provide them without any help from the government. http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/issues/internet-and-technology
We are a nation of many peoples and beliefs. The only way to respect all citizens is to allow each to make personal decisions themselves. http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/issues/civil-liberties
· Life is precious and must be protected. A woman should be allowed to make her own decisions during pregnancy until the point of viability of a fetus.
· Stem cell research should only be completed by private laboratories that operate without federal funding.
· Government should not impose its values upon marriage. It should allow marriage equality, including gay marriage. It should also protect the rights of religious organizations to follow their beliefs.
Over a million and a half Americans were arrested last year on drug charges, and nearly 40% of those arrests were for marijuana possession alone. Does this make sense? http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/issues/drug-policy-reform
· A recent Gallup poll reports that 46% of Americans now agree that marijuana should be legalized, a dramatic increase in support that reflects Americans' increased knowledge and understanding of the issue. Proposals to regulate marijuana similarly to alcohol have been considered in several states, and Governor Johnson has supported those efforts; he believes the federal government should end its prohibition mandate and allow each state to pursue its own desired policy.
· Governor Johnson believes it is insane to arrest roughly 800,000 people a year for choosing to use a natural substance that is, by any reasonable objective standard, less harmful than alcohol, a drug that is advertised at every major sporting event.
· As Governor Johnson often points out to concerned parents, "it will never be legal for a person to smoke marijuana, become impaired, and get behind the wheel of a car or otherwise do harm to others, and it will never be legal for kids to smoke marijuana." But we have to understand that marijuana is our nation's #1 cash crop despite the prohibition; it will always be available to those who really wish to use it.
· When polled, high school kids say marijuana is easier to get than alcohol. Is this perhaps because they buy from black market dealers who do not ask for ID?
· Legalization of marijuana would instantly and dramatically improve conditions on our southern border. Marijuana is
#1 illegal export; legalizing it would result in dramatically reducing the
power and wealth of the drug lords, and instantly helping to restore stability
in a nation whose stability and sustainability is truly vital to our economic
and national security interests. If we truly wish to reduce border violence,
take the profit out of it. Mexico
is borrowing or printing more than 40 cents of every dollar the government
spends today. The math is simple: Federal spending must be cut not by millions
or billions, but by trillions. And it must be done today. http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/issues/spending-and-the-deficit U.S.
It's time to:
· Submit a Balanced Budget to Congress, not five or ten years down the road, but in 2013.
· End excessive spending, bloated stimulus programs, unnecessary farm subsidies, and earmarks.
· Reassess the role of the federal government and identify responsibilities that can be met more efficiently by the private sector.
· Recognize that you can't have limited government at home, but big government abroad.